26 May 2017

Travel diary South England, day 2, 2017: Osborne House on the Isle of Wight, Queen Victoria's family home

* Disclaimer: this post is written and uploaded the same day as I've lived it. I'm too tired to read and re-read for any typos or other errors. So my sincere apologies in advance! *

Halloooo!!

Another beautiful day in South England. I went to the Isle of Wight to visit Osborne House. Family home to Queen Victoria and Prince Albert and their 9 children. The grounds include the massive house, a Swiss cottage for the children to play in, a flower and fruit garden and a private piece of beach. You know, casual ;)


From Winchester where I'm staying, it is about 45minute drive to Lymington to catch a ferry to Yarmouth on the Isle of Wight. The crossing was about 30minutes to 45minutes.


From Yarmouth it is another 30minutes drive to Osborne. To my surprise there was a lot of traffic on the Northern part of the isle (I haven't seen the Southern area yet).

The house was easy enough to find and after a handbag check I was queueing to buy my entry tickets (£17 by the way ;)). And from there I was ready to be amazed by the house and the grounds ^^


I walked through the house in about an hour and a half. All the rooms open to the public were absolutely stunning, but my favourite bit was the nursery. The focus in those rooms were the Royal family line. I already knew that the majority of European Royals are somewhat related to each other, but to actually see if visualise in charts and text was really fascinating.

By the time I walked into the garden it was time for lunch. A sandwich and a cream tea, yes please x) (No matter what the weather is like x))

And then after lunch I made my way to the beach via the Swiss cottage. The cottage was cute to visit, but not as impressive as the house so I'm afraid I haven't got any pictures. At the beach on the other hand I snapped a few ;) I also enjoyed the view for a good half an hour before I had to head back to the house.


Around 4pm it was time to head back to the main island. But as it turned out, the ferry had a 60minute delay. Yay, what to do when you have an hour free time on your hands? Go to the sea side and then wait by your car for an hour. Ugh. But eventually we got on a ferry and arrived in Portsmouth safe and sound.

Before heading back to Winchester, we had fish and chips at the Still and West pub with the best view on the harbour and the most beautiful sunset. I highly recommend!


And then it was time to head back to Winchester. I was exhausted so it didn't take long for me to fall asleep x)

And that is it for my second day in South England. Tomorrow I'm going back to Portsmouth to visit the HMS Victory, better know as Nelson's flagship and her role in the Battle of Trafalgar in 1805 :)

Thanks for reading!
xo - Sara

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...