21 May 2017

Girlboss, a Netflix original, 'review'

Hallooo!!!!

I saw the trailer for Girlboss on IMDb, as I discover so many tv shows or movies on there. It appealed to me straight away: a girl in her mid twenties starts a business. That is what I'm currently all about. And I've always enjoyed watching films about people starting businesses or just work hard to land their dream job. "Morning Glory", "the Intern" and "I don't know how she does it" are a few examples.

But boy was I mistaken. I'm not completely writing the show off, but I wouldn't go around recommending it to everyone either. Let me just break it down for you.

Small reminder, I'm not a professional reviewer. This is just my honest opinion on the show.

IMDb

** spoilers **
2017 - ...
Director: Kay Cannon
Cast: Britt Robertson, Ellie Reed, Johnny Simmons, Alphonso LcAuley, Cole Escola,...
Length: 13 episodes in season 1, each 30min
Genre: Comedy
5/10

What I didn't know prior to starting to watch the show, is that it is based on the autobiography of Sophia Amoruso titled #girlboss. Sophia is the founder of the online store Nasty Gal and basically a pioneer in the online business world. At the start of the show it does say that the story is loosely based on true events. Very loosely. But I didn't put 2 and 2 together as I've never shopped from Nasty Gal and am allround not very familiar with the online stores, nor their founders. Sophie Amoruso is a complete stranger to me, so you don't have to be familiar with Nasty Gal, #girlboss or Sophia Amoruso to see the show :) But I do hope they exaggerated Sophia's characteristics, as I don't really like her.

IMDb

I like Britt Robertson. And the fact that I just dislike Sophia shows she is one talented actress. The character she's playing has a very bad attitude towards people. I dream of having my own business one day. But the image that I get from business people is that they are all arrogant, self entitled, "I-don't-care-how-I-screw-over-to-get-what-I-need"- kind of people. And I know that that not the case for, like 95% of entrepreneurs in the world. But shows like this don't encourage to change that image the business side of life has. Girlboss shows a very clever and hands-on girl, but who treats her friends and loved ones badly and I almost ended up not rooting for her. I almost wanted to see her fail. But then Britt gives these glimpses of another side of Sophia. So when her boyfriend, who I thought was way too good for her, treats her like shit, I do feel for her.

Plenty of smaller names are on the show. Really enjoyed Ellie Reed, Cole Escola and Alphonso McAuley on the small screen. I'd only hope for a second season just to see them shine again. Johnny Simmons, best known to me as Brad in 'the Perks of Being a Wallflower', is a bigger name, but still doesn't receive enough credit in my opinion.

IMDb

Usually you have to wait until the 3rd episodes before you can judge a show. You either have fallen in love with it by then and can't stop watching. Or you're bored and quit. Not going to lie: I was tempted to quite after episode 3 and again after episode 7. And yet I kept watching. Not always with my full attention, but I did see all 13 episodes. Which goes to tell something about the show, but I wouldn't recommend it to my friends or family. As for you guys, it is up to you to decide if you'd like to see the show or not :)

This is where I'm going to leave it. But before I go: here's the trailer :)


Thanks for reading!
xo - Sara

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...