22 July 2015

"Fuck it, I'm king of Mars" - the Martian by Andy Weir (book 'review')

Hallooo!!!

**Spoiler free**

As promised, here's my book 'review' on the Martian by Andy Weir. I'm writing review between quotations marks as I don't really think this is going to be a proper review. I'm just going to rave about it from start to finish! IT IS A MUST READ. So I'll keep it short.




NASA has sent two manned missions to Mars. Mark Watney is the botanic/mechanist on board of the mission Ares 3 crew, the third mission to be sent to the red planet. Due to a sand storm they had to abandon their mission prematurly. Mark Watney gets hit by an antena and falls behind. Against all odds, he survives. Now he's stranded all alone on a planet with no way to contact Earth or enough food to keep him alive. How on earth (eh eh) is he going to survive?

As you can tell, it's a 'what the hell' story. I'd say you can categorize it as a humoristic thriller, because man, at some points it's just beyond nail-bitting exciting. We're up againt mother Nature and that makes the story so spectacular. Just one guy trying to survive.

I'm not going to lie, the first couple of pages I was like: "Okay, it's well written and funny, but is this going to be it?" I had no idea how the story could possibly progress. But then, Weir starts giving all this insight information it'll just make you keep reading. It's a proper page turner.

Although we're dealing with these nail-bitting events, the way the story is written is truly funny. Weir uses so much humor it will literally make you laugh out loud! Not just smile or chuckle, but proper laugh out loud. So you've been warned when you're reading this book in public. So many memorable oneliners. Weir makes sure his main character is lovable so you're really rooting for this guy. Mark's optimisme is really inspirational. It kind of puts your own issues to shame x)

All the technical stuff is clearly explained so normal people like you and I can understand what's going on. NASA has confirmed that all the calculations and events are accurate, so what you're reading is not just fiction, they're facts. Well, the storyline of an astronaut being left behind on Mars is fictional of course x)

As you might know already, they've made a movie adaptation of this book starring Matt Damon, Sean Bean, Kirsten Wiig, Sebastian Stan, Kate Mara, etc etc. The movie will hit theatres by the end of September in the UK. This cast is huge and I have high expectations for this one! The trailer looks amazing as well, so of course I'll link that below for you to enjoy ^^


This is my short opinion on this book. As you can tell, I HIGHLY recommend it :) It's very well written, the technical parts are super clear and understandable, characters are very well written, it's funny, it's thrilling, ... All the basics for a best selling book are present. Read it ;)

I hope you liked this blog post and that you are somewhat convinced to pick this one up. I'm glad I did :)

Thanks for reading!
xo - Sara

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...