5 June 2015

Not cool enough for Brick Lane and watching the Grand Budapest Hotel on the old platforms of the Jubilee line at Charing Cross

Halloooooooo!

It's official! This week is the 22nd week in London and at my current job, which is the longest I've ever been in London/with a company in one go. My first intern ship was for 14 weeks and the second intern ship was for 18 weeks but I stayed 3 weeks in London before returning home for Christmas break. So yeah, it's a mile stone for me x)



And yeeeees, this week's blog post is here early for you! ^^

Then, what have I been up to this week?

Not cool enough to walk on Brick Lane
On Saturday afternoon I made my way to Brick Lane near Liverpool street and Spitalfield Market. Spitalfield is maybe my favorite market in London as they have this stall where you can buy books for £3 or £4, which is crazy cheap! So of course I had to take a look.

From Spitalfield Market it's only a short walk to Brick Lane. To be honest, I wasn't too impressed. Might be because I was on my own. I can imagine that if you'd go with friends you might get some cake and tea in one of the cute coffee/tea houses. But actually I just felt really self consious. I really didn't feel cool enough to walk on the street so after about an hour I made my way back to Spitalfield where I bought another Lemon tart at Carluccio's and a white americano at Costa Coffee. Nice and touristy and very mainstream. That's how I like it.

But I have to admit that I'd like to go back there, but with a friend, so we can actually get a cake and tea x)


Another reason why I went to Brick Lane beside to have a look at what everybody is raving about, is because you have so many beautiful street art. Almost everywhere you look you can find something interesting. I even found this Christmas tree made out of lego high above everybody's heads.

Underground Film Club at Charing Cross
I had my ticket to see the Grand Budapest Hotel booked way back in April. As the concept of going to the cinema's in an old underground station is very popular, tickets were sold out super fast. I didn't really have a choice in which movie I could see, but the Grand Budapest Hotel was on my to watch list anyway, so why not make an event out of it?^^

So Tuesday 2/06 I went to Charing Cross underground to change my ticket for a bracelet, which gave me access to a part of the London underground where nobody of the public normally is allowed. Awesome! The entrance was amazing and promising. They had us wait until everybody had arrived so they could guide us all together to the location where we'd see the movie. Underground Film Club did an amazing job. In the waiting area they even had a little bar and hot dog/popcorn bar installed!



So, once (almost) everybody had arrived, they guided us, along a platform to the area where they had set up chairs and screen. Every chair had a pair of headphones so everybody had their own private sound system. No talking people. No annoying bags of crisp or loud eating popcorn consumers. Amazing. I have to say, having the sound booming out of the boxes is what makes going to the cinema an experience. But of course, seeing a movie on the deserted Jubilee line platform is an experience on itself ^^

And who know the Jubilee Line had once a stop at Charing Cross? They closed the platform on 20th November 1999 and is now only used for operational purpose. It's also the location where they shot the chasing seen in Skyfall :)


That's about if for this week :) It's been an interesting one ^^ Next week blog post will be from Scotland!! 7 days until I'm leaving!!

Thanks for reading!
xo - Sara

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...